Dr Sehmi from the Kensington Clinic has perfected the painless dental injection:
Dentistry has come a long way, and with certain treatments, we don’t even need to give an injection, but there are still some treatments which require numbing up.
Luckily, there are several good ways to almost eliminate the pain of the injection
5 Steps To Painless Injections
1. Use Extra-Sharp “double beveled” needles. There are many types of needles, double and triple bevel needles are much sharper than standard needles, and pass into the area without catching at all, meaning less pain!
2. Warm the anesthetic to body temperature. Injecting a cold fluid is always painful! We always make sure the fluid is at body temperature, even on cold wintry mornings, when the heating has been off all weekend!
3. Use Topical Anaesthetic. This numbs the gum before the injection. We leave this in place for nearly a minute, to make sure its taken effect fully.
4. Start with painless areas, then move to sensitive areas. We all know certain areas are more sensitive than others. If we first numb the non sensitive areas, then the sensitive areas get a little numb, allowing us to numb the sensitive areas without you feeling a thing.
5. Distraction. If you’re not thinking about the injection, you probably wont feel a thing… We don’t give too much away here, but there are several things we can do, so you don’t feel a thing!